I have some major weaknesses and one of them is my love for spicy fried chicken! Becuase we all need to indulge sometimes, one of my favorites go-to places in the city is The Roost Carolina Kitchen located in the River West and Lakeview neighborhoods. There you will find everything from bone-in fried chicken to tenders and tacos. Personally, my favorite is the spicy fried chicken tenders meal with a choice of creamy mac & cheese and hand cut potato chips.
However, not even the stretchiest of yoga pants would allow you to eat such sinful meal as often as I would like. In hopes of curbing that spicy chicken urge, I have come up with my own lighten up twist to this Southern delicacy. Nothing will ever compare to the real deal but a healthy substitute for an easy weeknight meal? I’m in!
*Prep for two people
- 2 lbs of boneless chicken breast
- One packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
- One 12oz bottle of Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
- A head of green leaf lettuce
- A bundle of green onions
- 1 cup of crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Place 2lbs of chicken into a Crockpot
- No crockpot? No problem! Chicken can be baked, grilled, or poached.
- Add Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce (I like to keep a little extra for later), a tablespoon of butter and Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning packet.
- Give it a gentle stir until all of the ingredients are mixed equally and set on low for two hours.
- * Each crockpot is bit different depending how big or small and the amount of meat being used*
- Take the chicken out around the 1 1/2 mark. Shred into pieces and place back into the crockpot for an additional 30 minutes.
- Make sure to peel, rinse, and dry lettuce before using them as wraps.
- Drain extra sauce from the shredded chicken while assembling onto a lettuce leaf. Sprinkle blue cheese crumbles and chopped green onions on top.
Boom! There you have it! A guilt free spicy buffalo chicken lettuce wrap. The best part of this simple recipe? The leftovers!!! Take any leftover chicken and turn it into a quinoa/brown rice bowl (see below) or even buffalo chicken dip!
- Cut up whatever lettuce you have in your fridge ( I used leftover green leaf and kale)
- Add in cooked brown rice/quinoa
- Chop up 1/2 cup of green and/red onions
- Crumble on blue cheese
- Drizzle a touch a ranch/blue cheese dressing