Warning: This is not your ordinary cornbread recipe. Nope, not even close! Every summer I look for any & every excuse to make this yummy side dish. Packed with crispy bacon crumbles, spicy pepper jack cheese, and green chiles, this little number is a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
- 1 box of cornbread mix (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- Two 4oz cans green chiles
- 6 strips crispy bacon crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 can of corn drained
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Thoroughly grease a medium sized cast iron skillet (an 8×8 baking pan works just as well).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread mixture, milk, oil, and egg.
- Continue to add in the crumbled bacon, one cup of shredded pepper jack cheese, and corn. Make sure to not over stir!
- Once ingredients are evenly mixed together, carefully pour batter into the cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Serve warm with honey and/or butter!
Enjoy as a great side dish at any BBQ or solo as breakfast with a hot cup of coffee!